Monday, August 13, 2012

MY DAGUERREOTYPE OF CATHERINE GOETSCHIUS

  This was my find on yesterday, Sunday, August 12, 2012.  It was at the end of the day at Lambertville, New Jersey's Golden Nugget Flea Market, and I had found just one hand-made twig basket and NOTHING with heritage...........
  In the LAST row, I saw a slew of pictures, and Deguerreotypes in little hand-tooled leather books, but pictures are almost impossible to track UNLESS there is something written in or on them.  THEN...... I saw one with a note....... "Raymonds Great Great Grandmother name Elizabeth Ann Sutherland Shuart mother".  I thought that this picture & it's note would be pretty easy to track down.......... and I was right.
  We went to The Lambertville Station for brunch and I took out my iPad and found her right away....... ACTUALLY, I found Elizabeth Ann Sutherland Shuart, because I read the note incorrectly...... but also found her mother at the same time.
  And now to find HER family.................  I put a tree on Ancestry.com & attached her picture there.  Hopefully someone wants her........
  AGAIN, I DO NOT WANT MONEY FOR ANY OF THESE ITEMS, I just want to return these articles of heritage BACK to their families...........
  HEEEEEEEEEERES, Catherine !!!!!!
  She lived from 1793-11 APR 1859..........
  I guess 60 looks VEEEEERY different NOW, than what it looked like in 1853, or so...........

Here is the whole book with the note...........
I'll keep you posted........

  Lest you forget,
  Michael

  

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing. I have over 5000 names and dates in my tree but not as much personal info as IN would like. Putting a face to someone in my tree makes it much more rewarding and real. Often in our quest to create our tree we "forget" the human side of our ancestors. A photo like this is a great reminder. D. Kim England McGuirk 5th great grandaughter of Catherine Goetschius Sutherland

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Cousin! I have subsequently discovered that Catherine Goetschius was Swiss. She was the daughter of Petrus J Goetschius and Catriena Eckhart. Petrus was born in NJ, but his father was from Zurich, Switzerland. Johannes H Goetschius, b 1718 wrote a letter about his horrendous voyage to the states, and the death of his father shortly after arrival. Almost 300 years ago,

      Delete
    2. Hi Cousin! I have subsequently discovered that Catherine Goetschius was Swiss. She was the daughter of Petrus J Goetschius and Catriena Eckhart. Petrus was born in NJ, but his father was from Zurich, Switzerland. Johannes H Goetschius, b 1718 wrote a letter about his horrendous voyage to the states, and the death of his father shortly after arrival. Almost 300 years ago,

      Delete