Monday, September 3, 2012

JOHN CUTHBERT OGILVY

  Friends of mine, Bruce Horton & Daniel Charest, of Bruce D. Horton Antiques in Adamstown, PA (Stoudt's Black Angus Antiques Mall) have this fruit & nut presentation box.
  The box is of beautiful wood and once the top is open, there are trays on either side that fold out to reveal a sterling silver bowl with repousse´ fruit all around, fruit knives & scissors with mother of pearl handles, and nut crackers.
  I thought that this was the most beautiful thing I'd seen, when I first laid eyes on it, and when they closed the lid to reveal the plaque .......... I froze, because it was a genealogists dream........ This is what was inscribed:
  Presented to 
Mr. John Cuthbert Ogilvy
BY
Scottish Agency of
Messrs. S. Allsopp & Son's Ltd.
AS A
Token of esteem and respect, 
ON HIS RETIRAL
After Seventeen Years Service
30th Nov. 1903

  John Cuthbert Ogilvy lived in Glasgow, Scotland and was a "Brewer's Traveller for "Messrs. S.Allsopp & Sons", that made "Allsopp's Pale Ale" and "Allsopp's Bitter Ale".
  I've tracked down his family on Ancestry.com & followed his son, James Leslie Ogilvy, who immigrated to Canada, then to Spokane, Washington, where he died in 1954.  
  James had a son named, Thomas Webster Leslie Ogilvy, who died in St. Louis, Missouri.  I'm having a harder time going forward because Thomas had two daughters, and it's ALWAYS harder tracking daughters, because MOST of them get married and changed their name.
  I'll keep you posted what I happen to find out.

  Lest you forget,
  Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment